We strive develop learning opportunities in response to demand from our Run Leaders. If you have had a break from Run Leading, our refresher course might help remind you of your LiRF training. Perhaps you would like to broaden your expertise and learn about how to guide visually impaired runners with our Guide Running Workshop?
Our current list of workshops cover subjects such as:
LiRF Refresher Workshop
This workshop is designed to be a ‘refresher’ for qualified Leaders in Running Fitness. The workshop will cover information and content that will have been introduced throughout the LiRF qualification, as well expand on and extend to content that may well be new. Delivered via an interactive virtual classroom, the overall aim of the workshop is to increase knowledge and confidence for Run Leaders across Wales. The 2 hour session is designed to be interactive and informative, giving participants an opportunity to reconnect with best practice ideas for delivering effective running sessions.
- The Role of a Leader
- Athlete Development Model
- Plan – Do – Review Process
- Session Plan S ummary
- Principles of a RAMP Warm Up and Cool Down
- Session Planning & Components of Fitness
- Best Practice ‘How 2’ and ‘What 2’ Skills
- Using the STEP principle
- Barriers to Participation
- Next Steps on the Run Leader journey
- Re-visit key topics covered during the LiRF qualification
- Develop a wider understanding of the role of a Run Leader
- Improve and increase confidence in delivery of running and walking activities
- Develop a further understanding of how to deliver well-structured and engaging running and activities
- Engage with a network of like-minded individuals and share in best practice ideas and discuss challenges around delivering to mixed ability groups etc
Having attended a previous Leadership in Running Fitness course or be LiRF qualified.
Pre-Course Information: The candidates will have received pre-course information to familiarise themselves with the workshop content and prompt any questions around key themes that they would like to ask during the workshop
Guide Running Workshop
Perhaps you would like to broaden your expertise and learn about how to guide visually impaired runners with our Guide Running Workshop? This workshop is also available to non-LiRF qualified runners, who can then support a VI runner under the guidance of a qualified LiRF. To comply with safeguarding requirements, runners must be LiRF qualified be listed on our Guide Runner database.
The 2 hour workshop is a mixture of theory and practical activities and provides attendees with information and experience in supporting visually impaired people to run.
- Various types of visual impairment
- Tips for operating safely whilst guide running
- How to make your running sessions VI friendly
- The practical element will give the opportunity for attendees to experience guiding and being guided by each other in a suitable setting.
Those completing the workshop with an up to date and valid Leadership in Running Fitness qualification will also have the opportunity to join the
Welsh Athletics / Run Wales register of recognised Guide Runners.
Tell us what development opportunities you would like
Please use the form below to tell us any areas of development you think that Run Wales could produce to help you become a more effective and confident Run Leader.