Running groups differ slightly in their structure to that of a traditional Welsh Athletics’ affiliated Running Club. Whilst running clubs offer fantastic opportunities for many runners in Wales, their formal structure might not suit all runners.
Run Wales, a programme led by Welsh Athletics, is here to support the formation of a more flexible, informal and friendly way of providing safe running opportunities for the people of Wales.
Running groups can come in all forms and sizes. There is no rule to the number of people that can be a part of a group. A group could be; a workplace running group, a buggy running group, or just be a group of friends who love running together.
So, what is a Run Wales Group?
The Run Wales programme is underpinned by a network of amazing social running groups across the country, offering the population of Wales a myriad of safe, fun and inclusive running opportunities and supporting people to run, jog and walk their way to a more active lifestyle.
Run Wales Groups are led by qualified Run Leaders, trained and insured by Welsh Athletics. We currently support over 50 running groups across Wales.
To ensure that everyone who attends a Run Wales Group is treated fairly and respectfully, and that they can expect safe and supportive running opportunities, all of our groups confirm that they meet the following minimum criteria:
- Offer running based activities to people irrespective of their membership status of a UK Athletics affiliated running club.
- Sessions can be free or offered for a fee, but must not be restricted by affiliation status.
- Participation can be open to all or targeted to specific groups but must comply with anti-discrimination legislation.
- Activities must be led by appropriately qualified Run Leaders or Coaches in line with the terms of their license, which includes holding a current DBS certificate, Safeguarding and First Aid qualification and adhering to the UKA Code of Conduct: Coaches.
- Complete the Group Information Form to register as a Run Wales Group and provide the information for inclusion on their dedicated webpage and our Group Finder.
- Endeavour to notify Run Wales of changes to the information contained in their Group Information Form and participate in the Annual Data Review to confirm accuracy of their entry.
This also ensures that our Group Finder tool contains current information and that we promote each group accurately.
Clwb Run Wales Partner Groups are social running groups which are able to offer their members the benefits of Welsh Athletics affiliation through Clwb Run Wales. They are ‘gold standard’ groups, and as such, they should lead by example and be a role model for other Run Wales Groups and new groups under development.
Some great examples of Run Wales Groups are: